Re: database resource usage

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:23:27 -0500

Chris,

Okay, you answered my question while I was typing it. I think your mission is to tell management that if they are going to develop a proper data warehouse, they should plan to purchase another server.

    I used to work for a tightfisted organization that resented spending money for anything. They were planning to share an existing transaction application server with their data warehouse. Once they realized how spikey the load on a DW is, I never saw them open their pocketbook so fast. They had that new server in there in a couple of days and were demanding that I get Oracle installed and the database moved over there pronto.

    I don't think most monitoring tools will help you. But you must immediately read Tim Gorman's paper: Scaling to Infinity immediately. This can be found at: http://www.evdbt.com/papers.htm Make sure these guys design this DW right from the ground up.

Dennis Williams