Re: database resource usage

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 08:21:07 -0500

Chris,

I would argue that this is a people problem rather than a technical problem. You are correct that this is not an ideal solution. I don't think OLAP developers should be creating stuff that drives the system to its knees. That is poor development practice. Some day they will release one of these bad boys into production. Talk to them. Educate them. If that doesn't work, you can put various quotas on them. Especially emphasize that it is critical they don't do something dumb during the month-end processing. Send out a monthly reminder. Back in the olden mainframe days we all had to share one system, and etiquette prevailed.

     I don't know of a tool, but would suspect you could put something together using Unix tools such as ps, awk, perl, etc. Then you won't be dependent on a vendor, but can perform your own upgrades.

     While you're at it, examine that month end load and see if any tasks can be shifted in time to free up more resources.

Dennis Williams