RE: Storing blobs in database vs filesystem

From: Polarski, Bernard <Bernard.Polarski_at_atosorigin.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:14:33 +0200

There is one trade off of the CLOB compression that had not been touched here : a LOB under the size of 4K can be inlined into the table. Put this in conjunction with on the flight (de)compression and you realize that signature may be inlined.

I don't know if you can inline a CLOB on an IOT overfolow area (need to check that) but it can certainly be an option to consider if your system is OLTP
and FTS are allowed. You get the advance of packed structure with remote storage of the CLOBS, while keeping it simple. I suppose also that you will go for a partitionned table, as it make it easy to archive.

I don't have the Java procedure, but I remember that the reason of the reduction in the DB growth from 10 to 3 TB was that they used a Java compression function on the CLOB, and that java was similar to gzip. Since gzip is open source, I suspect it should be easy to find. Unhappilly my Java knowlege is null.

There has been absolutely not reduction in performance since the CLOB are meant to be accessed on single access,

B. Polarski

From: VIVEK_SHARMA [mailto:VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com] Sent: Friday, 29 September, 2006 12:01 PM To: Polarski, Bernard
Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: Storing blobs in database vs filesystem

Bernard, Folks

We are also facing a similar issue with our "Banking" Application product where approx 1/3rd of the Database size is taken up by 1 Table which stores the Customer Signatures in one of its LONG/LOB fields.

Database Sizes are in the range of a few Tera Bytes.

The Banking Product is a primarily Pro C Application, with java functions too.

Qs IS THE RESPECTIVE CLOB DATA ACCESSED BY USERS WHILE DOING OLTP TRANSACTIONS?   Qs IN OUR BANKING PRODUCT CASE, THE RESPECTIVE SIGNATURE IS VERIFIED AS PART OF AN OLTP TRANSACTION BY A BANK STAFF USER & THEREAFTER A CREDIT/DEBIT OLTP TRANSACTION IS PASSED TO THE RESPECTIVE CUSTOMER'S BANK ACCOUNT.   SOME ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS ARE EMBEDDED BELOW IN CAPITALS.   Thanks indeed