RE: Storing blobs in database vs filesystem

From: VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:01:03 +0530

Nial Wrote: My personal preference for files is to store them on filesystems with a pointer to them in the DB (either a BFILE or else just a straight uri for them)

Qs Could you clarify with some Sample EXAMPLE please?

We are also facing a similar issue with our "Banking" Application product where approx 1/3rd of the Database size is taken up by 1 Table which stores the Customer Signatures in one of its LONG/LOB fields.

Database Sizes are in the range of a few Tera Bytes.

The Banking Product is a primarily Pro C Application, with java functions too.

Qs IN OUR BANKING PRODUCT CASE, THE RESPECTIVE SIGNATURE IS VERIFIED AS PART OF AN OLTP TRANSACTION BY A BANK STAFF USER & THEREAFTER A CREDIT/DEBIT OLTP TRANSACTION IS PASSED TO THE RESPECTIVE CUSTOMER'S BANK ACCOUNT. DOES THIS QUALIFY FOR STORAGE AS EXTERNAL DATA? Thanks indeed

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 3:47 PM To: dubey.sandeep_at_gmail.com
Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: Storing blobs in database vs filesystem

On 9/28/06, Sandeep Dubey <dubey.sandeep_at_gmail.com> wrote:

I have a document processing system on Oracle 10.2 Linux. It stores document as blob in the database. We store 1 Million docs a month and current table size is 5 million. Database size is 50 GB out of which blob table takes 35 GB. (It is not partitioned).

<snip>

	What could be challenge in storing it on file system? Any major
	disadvantage that I should not consider it at all?

	Thanks

Are the BLOB's transactional in anyway, especially are they subject to change? If so then consistent recovery requirements might be overly complicated.

--

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA