Re: Storing blobs in database vs filesystem

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:17:12 +0100

On 9/28/06, Sandeep Dubey <dubey.sandeep_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a document processing system on Oracle 10.2 Linux. It stores
> document as blob in the database. We store 1 Million docs a month and
> current table size is 5 million. Database size is 50 GB out of which
> blob table takes 35 GB. (It is not partitioned).

<snip>

What could be challenge in storing it on file system? Any major
> disadvantage that I should not consider it at all?
>
> Thanks

Are the BLOB's transactional in anyway, especially are they subject to change? If so then consistent recovery requirements might be overly complicated.

My personal preference for files is to store them on filesystems with a pointer to them in the DB (either a BFILE or else just a straight uri for them)

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA