Re: Storing blobs in database vs filesystem

From: Mark Anderson <fnmpa_at_uaf.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:14:06 -0800

This isn't responsive to the OP, but I was hoping you could help me understand what advantage you people saw in storing large volumes of blobs in the database at all. I think of a database as something you use if you want some combination of (1) a complex, flexible query language (2) transactions (3) simultaneous multi-user read/write access to the data. Are any of these a factor in your storage of blobs in the database? If not, I would think it would be preferable to store the blobs in filesystems, which are easier to administer, faster (because you don't have to traverse the code path through Oracle database) and cheaper.

But I stand ready to be corrected.

Thank you,

Mark