Re: How to cope with nasty side effects of bind variable peeking

From: Christo Kutrovsky <kutrovsky.oracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 19:43:11 -0400

We have a system which suffered from this problem, in addition to a few others. After an analysis of the what the application was doing and the requirement of consistent (not necessary 100% optimal) performance, we decided to:

*._like_with_bind_as_equality=TRUE
*._optim_peek_user_binds=FALSE

All issues are gone now. I never liked bind peeking, in it's current form.

If what Jonathan says is true, we may have to revisit this decision. But so far the consistency is great, and the performance is consistently very good.

Often "always good" is prefered over "mostly awesome, but sometimes really bad".

--
Christo Kutrovsky
Senior Database/System Administrator

-- Christo Kutrovsky Senior Database/System Administrator The Pythian Group - www.pythian.com I blog at http://www.pythian.com/blogs/ -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l