Re: How extensively do you use dbms_application_info ?

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:55:13 -0700

Ryan,

> Would you use dbms_application_info for every single pl/sql procedure? Even
> ones that just run a single query?
>
> Module: PL/SQL Package and Functional Module(this would be an internal name)
> Action: Procedure, plus any values that would go into bind variables.

Oracle Apps (EBiz Suite) makes extensive use of ACTION, MODULE and CLIENT_INFO. Action/Module stores Form/Function names and Client_info stores the Organization ID central to most access that is "OLTP". In Concurrent jobs, note that it records only the top level function.

My take is this: Parameterize your instrumentation. An external flag should selectively switch on/off your logging/tracing.

--
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc

Disappointment is always inevitable; Discouragement is invariably optional