RE: How extensively do you use dbms_application_info ?

From: <kristian_at_kmja.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:24:46 +0200 (CEST)

> Are there any performance overheads in over-using this?

A year ago, I had my Java developers to use this package and include their classname as the module, just so we could distinguish the resource usage from different java-apps when looking at a statspack report. Since different classes shared the same connections in the connection pool, they had to call this package each time they would execute a sql (it was pretty easy implemented with a customized preparedStatement method). However, the call to dbms_application_info ended up being almost the most cpu-intensive statement in the database...

We still use it, but not in the same way. And we've parameterized it in the apps so we can turn it on or off whenever needed.

/Kristian