Re: How extensively do you use dbms_application_info ?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 06:36:11 +0100

That probably puts you in 10% of the world's Oracle developers.

I don't do much developing now, but do regard it as a requirement for good coding to instrument your code - clearly people can and do re-invent the wheel for instrumentation, but d_a_i does already allow you to do this.

I mentioned my implementation in my presentation to UKOUG last year, which sounds similar to Ryan's proposed solution, namely a wrapper package which also includes the ability to write to trace and - like any good debug tool - doesn't need to be switched on in production, unless you need it. However there was a much more appropriate presentation by Gerry Bowman at the same conference which talked in much more detail about this approach - covered a 10g specific bug that you should know about if you are using pl/sql and so on.

I don't know if Gerry hangs out here, but I'll point him at this discussion and see if he can make the presentation publicly available.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA