Re: problem about full scan temporary table

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 08:31:24 +0100

Every session gets its private copy of the table in the temporary tablespace (make sure it's big enough), and knows its own HWM.

If you are using 10g, consider using tablespace groups - just in case it gives you an edge in performance, and in case you need to drop and recreate some temporary files.

If you are running 9i, "on commit delete rows" may be a better bet than "on commit preserve rows". If you TRUNCATE a GTT, that counts as DDL which invalidates every cursor that references that GTT definition - even the cursors of people with their own private data sets. Fixed in 10.2. Conversely, the 'commit' if you have 'on commit delete rows' is not DDL, so doesn't invalidate anything. The whole thing may be a moot point, of course, as the impact on the library cache may be insignificant compared to the work done in lots of high-volume tablescans.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ