Re: Asynchronous Commit Feature of 10.2 - Basic Qs

From: Anjo Kolk <anjo.kolk_at_oraperf.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:07:44 +0200

The answer is YES. Nothing really to clarify. SCNs determine what you see in a transaction/select. Remember currently Oracle never goes back to the redo log file to read an SCn as part of the scenario that you describe. It doesn't even look in the redo log buffer. The only place that is inspected is the data block, the corresponding undo and the corresponding undo header (TX table).

Anjo.

On 9/22/06, VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com> wrote:

> Anjo, Folks
>

> If you could possibly Clarify Anjo's reply below?
>

> Also I infer that Anjo reply means "YES" to my Question below (since an
> SCN would have been generated by the COMMIT at 10:00)
>

> Qs 3 If multiple processes are running parallely & committing data with a
> related logical inter-dependency between them while doing updates, can the
>
> same be maintained when using the Asynchronous commit feature? To Explain
> this in simpler words:-
>

> Assume for 1 process COMMIT_WRITE is set to BATCH,NOWAIT.
>
> Assume at 10:00 this process issues a Commit after updating a field value
> to say "A".
>
> Assume that Oracle decides to write it to redo logs on Disk at 10:02.
>

> Question - If at 10:01 ANOTHER process reads(SELECTs) the same field
> value, will it get the UPDATED field Value of "A"
>

> Anjo's Reply - The redo is only used for recovery. You are confusing the
> SCN number. The current SCN and the snapshot scn (start of statement)
> dictate what you will see as commited or not.
>

> Thanks indeed

> message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail
> or its contents to any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This
> e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to
> minimize this risk, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a
> result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus
> checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right
> to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this
> e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored
> on the Infosys e-mail system.

Anjo Kolk
Owner and Founder OraPerf Projects
tel:    +31-577-712000