Home -> Community -> Mailing Lists -> Oracle-L -> RE: Some Dataguard is good, lots more must be better? (specifically, when do most actual failovers really occur?)

RE: Some Dataguard is good, lots more must be better? (specifically, when do most actual failovers really occur?)

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:56:03 +0200

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 17:07 +0000, Laimutis Nedzinskas wrote:

> Now regarding DG with time lag. Well, it is not a good option for
> maximum data protection(as Oracle defines it.) At least I do not know
> how to protect redo logs in this mode. Which means that for maximum data
> protection you have to have a standby database which is in complete
> sync, i.e. running in maximum protection mode(at least most of the
> time.) BUT I am not sure if file system snapshot technique can achieve
> this either.

Laimutis,
Maybe the delay concept confuses you a little. Maximum protection and Delay actually go together very well.!
Maximum protecion gurantees that redo is written at the standby at the time the commit finishes.
Delay allows you to wait a certain amount of time to apply the redo.

So, all redo IS protected in maximum protection mode, even if a delay is configured. The standby can be in read only mode and still protect your data.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===