Home -> Community -> Mailing Lists -> Oracle-L -> RE: Some Dataguard is good, lots more must be better? (specifically, when do most actual failovers really occur?)

RE: Some Dataguard is good, lots more must be better? (specifically, when do most actual failovers really occur?)

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:32:55 -0700

 >>>The OS mirror issue means that system admin must

>>>unfortunetely be quite involved in the failover process or
>>>DBA must take some tasks from sysadmin. I used to work in
>>>such an environment, for example, for me as DBA it was no
>>>issue to keep in synch and activate all scripts, jobs, etc
>>>at the standby machine.

herein lies the main concern I have. DG is great for keeping a database replicated, yes, but upon switchover there needs to be the total environment there...all the stuff the site has **outside** the database for the workflow. Such things as UTL_FILE stuff, external tables, scripts, etc... seems storage level would be the only way to have the operations environment replicated.