RE: Flashback database log sizing

From: Lawie, Duncan <duncan.lawie_at_credit-suisse.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 12:22:26 +0100

I was thinking more along these lines ...

I have a dev system running in archivelog mode with flashback database on. It appears that the flashback logs are using four times as much space as the archivelogs ...

  1* select * from v$flash_recovery_area_usage SQL> / FILE_TYPE PERCENT_SPACE_USED PERCENT_SPACE_RECLAIMABLE NUMBER_OF_FILES

CONTROLFILE                   0                         0               0
ONLINELOG                  3.91                         0               8
ARCHIVELOG                10.58                         0              23
BACKUPPIECE                   0                         0               0
IMAGECOPY                     0                         0               0
FLASHBACKLOG              43.15                     42.72             158

Is this typical? What ratios are others finding?

Thanks,
Duncan.