RE: Some Dataguard is good, lots more must be better?

From: Lawie, Duncan <duncan.lawie_at_credit-suisse.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:34:58 +0100

Kevin said <<

        ...just a different angle... logical corruptions can be handled with the snapshots and the storage is replicating to the DR site...so, yes, you could have a hundred databases in a few huge filesystems all nicely replicated at the storage level, but if you want to take database number 42 at the primary site and go back in time, you have hundreds or thousands (if desired) filesystem snapshots to choose from...

Can I add to the questions here?

Say I want to push database 42 back by 2 hours 16 minutes and 42 seconds. If it is sharing a filesystem with a bunch of other databases which are running just fine, how do I load up the old files for database 42, if the snapshot is at the filesystem level? I'm reading your mail as saying the snapshot from time x would be a mountable filesystem? If so, do I then need to copy the files back to my "real" filesystem, or do I change my database control file to point to the new mount? The latter would appear to gradually fragment the few, large filesystem approach. The former doesn't seem to save me time against some other recovery mechanisms.

Cheers,
Duncan.