RE: Why we should use bind variables when we write code......

From: Reidy, Ron <Ron.Reidy_at_arraybiopharma.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:31:48 -0600

Mark,

I can't comment on Java, but for Perl, look at the DBD::Oracle documentation
(http://search.cpan.org/~timb/DBI-1.52/DBI.pm#Placeholders_and_Bind_Valu es). For Python, look at this
http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/devlin-python-oracle.html

Hope this is a help.

--

Ron Reidy

Lead DBA

Array BioPharma, Inc.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Bobak, Mark Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 8:37 AM To: oracle-l
Subject: Why we should use bind variables when we write code......

So, last week, one of my instances starts getting ORA-4031s, and after a few minutes, comes crashing down when a background process (lmd0, I think it was) catches an ORA-4031. So, with the instance down, it's a bit tough to see what happened. So, we start things up again, and I start watching closely over the next few days. Seems there's lots of code that doesn't bother with binds. In some cases, there are a dozen non-sharable SQLs that are identical except for literals, in other cases, up to hundreds. (Thanks to T.Kyte for the script that I'm using to identify non-sharable SQL.) After a few days, I find the smoking gun. One single SQL statement that has 3,424 copies that are identical except for literals. (No, that's not a typo.) This is taking up abour 75% of the 475M of shared pool that's dedicated to the sql area. One single SQL statement, 75%. Yikes!

So, now I'm on an education kick. "This is the way we do things when we don't want to kill the Oracle database server!"

So, my question is, is there a resource, online or otherwise, that has examples of proper bind variable usage in various languages? I can cover C/Pro*C, PL/SQL, SQL*Plus, but what about Java, Perl, Python, etc,etc? I'm not much of a coder lately, and I want proper examples that can be shown to developers, in whatever is the language of choice.

Thanks,

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." --Robert A. Heinlein

This electronic message transmission is a PRIVATE communication which contains information which may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please notify the sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us by telephone (877-633-2436, ext. 0), and then delete it from your system.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Sep 19 2006 - 10:31:48 CDT