Re: ftp permission

From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:34:11 +0200

Brian,

try running your ftp client inside strace.. like "strace ftp 1.2.3.4"

then check the exact error you're getting ... "A connection can not be established" is a masked error. What you want is something like "Connection timed out" - that would point to a firewall issue , or perhaps "Connection refused" - that would mean the port is closed, and perhaps the ftp service isn't running, or is running on the non-default port (something other than 21)

It'll take a while to figure out what all the stuff strace puts out means, but look for connect() function calls, and check the error message they return.

Stefan