FYI on Dataguard Broker

From: <Jay.Miller_at_tdameritrade.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:43:22 -0400

Just an FYI on a problem we encoutered with Dataguard Broker (I didn't even know DGB existed until hitting this on a new database I was working on - we always did our switches and activations manually).

We were doing an activation test on a standby where dg_broker_start = true. After activating the standby (with no problems) we shut down the instance and restarted it. At that point the database would not open, apparently dg broker had written something to the control file assuming that the database was in standby mode. The only way I got it to open was by setting dg_broker_start=false, backing up the controlfile to trace from production, and recreating the controlfile. We could reproduce the problem consistently and it went away when we set dg_broker_start = false. This was version 9.2.0.6 on Solaris 2.8.

Just something to be aware of if you decide to use dgb...