Re: number of transactions per minute/hour

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:09:58 +0100

Well a benchmark worth its salt will of course define its own transactions. For example the tpc-c benchmark describes tpm as

TPC-C Benchmark Results

*Q*: What do TPC-C throughput numbers mean?

*A*: You must understand what the benchmark is intended to measure, before you can understand throughput. Throughput, in TPC terms, is a measure of maximum sustained system performance. In TPC-C, throughput is defined as how many New-Order transactions per minute a system generates while the system is executing four other transactions types (Payment, Order-Status, Delivery, Stock-Level). All five TPC-C transactions have a certain user response time requirement, with the New-Order transaction response time set at 5 seconds. Therefore, for a 710 tpmC number, a system is generating 710 New-Order transactions per minute while fulfilling the rest of the TPC-C transaction mix workload.

You could also take a wander over to
http://dominicgiles.com/swingbench.htmland take a look at how the swingbench oracle performance testing tool works - you can extend it yourself as well.

So benchmarks returning transactions per minute is simple, the definition and measure are all defined in the benchmark. The real issue of course is how you define your own transactions. To be honest I'd measure Oracle transactions/minute as a proxy for real transactions - with the proviso that application upgrades and changes make the comparisons unreliable except in very general terms. .

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA