Use SQL*Plus 10g to connect to 9i databases

From: Stephen Andert <andert_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:35:49 -0700

SQL*Plus 10.2.0.1 is installed on my laptop and I want to use it to connect to as many databases as I can. (mainly 9i variants) I have updated the tnsnames.ora in the 10g home to contain all the entries, and when I use the command-line tnsping, it resolves the names, but when I use 10G SQL*Plus for Windows, it tells me

ERROR:
ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect
descriptor

SP2-0640: Not connected
What am I missing?

Bonus points if you can tell me how to connect 10g EM Database Control to other databases (i.e. especially 9i)
TIA
--

Stephen Andert
http://spaces.msn.com/andert-news/

Aesop - "After all is said and done, more is said than done."

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Sep 13 2006 - 16:35:49 CDT