RE: alter system v shutdown abort

From: Baumgartel, Paul <>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:35:53 +0100

orakill does have to be run on the server--it's a Windows executable that kills a process thread.

Paul Baumgartel
Information Technology
DBA & Admin - NY, KIGA 1
11 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
Phone 212.538.1143

From: [] On Behalf Of Jesse, Rich Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 3:18 PM To: oracle-l
Subject: RE: alter system v shutdown abort

[jaw drops] Yes! Don't shutdown the DB for backups! That would seem to be a big nasty red mark on your uptime reports for your "HA" solution...

Of course, with more of the story, there could still be a need for this. To date, I have never had consistent luck killing a connected process within Oracle on any version. I have always had exceptions where one or more hung in the "sniped" state.

On Unix, use a combination of a shell script that shuts down the listener, polls v$session and kills the processes. On Winders, you can use the Perl that comes with Oracle or use a [gulp] BAT file with the orakill command supplied by Oracle to kill the thread from the OS.

My $.02,

From: [] On Behalf Of Queen Roo Roo Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:57 PM To: Smith, Ronald [Contractor]
Cc: oracle-l

The situation is that we have to have all users off so that the system can shut down for backup. It's an HP_UX HA solution that I am not familiar with. If all active users are not off, the process doesn't run and the stuff hits the fan. The process does a shutdown immediate as it's first action but that fails if a hung user is left on. I suggested that we use my program to see if there are any active users and kill them. The other option is the shutdown abort, startup, shutdown immediate but that might take longer than we have before system before the next step is excuted. Just killing any hung users seems to be less dangerous. Any other thoughts?

Thanks again,