RE: alter system v shutdown abort

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:43:03 -0400

I always liked it, consider the rollback. But there is nothing faster than shutdown abort. Oracle will be doing some recovery on the way up, then you have the second shutdown/startup.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson_at_crowley.com
x72542
904 727-2542

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Queen Roo Roo Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 2:40 PM To: oracle-l
Subject: alter system v shutdown abort

Hello everyone,

Can someone tell me an alter system kill session 'sid,serial#'; will kill runaway processes or long running queries as efficiently as doing a shutdown abort, startup , shutdown immediate? I have always run a job which shutdown kills all users who shouldn't be on after a specific time but the

SA at my new job is skepticle because another DBA told him to use a shutdown abort, startup, shutdown immediate sequence.

Thanks in advance,

Ruth

--
Ruth Gramolini