RE: alter system v shutdown abort

From: Baumgartel, Paul <paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 19:44:20 +0100

"RooRoo",

That's like using a sledgehammer to kill flies...even if alter session...kill returns with the "session marked for kill" (which usually means that the session couldn't be killed within one minute), you can follow up by killing the OS server process (kill -9 on *nix, orakill on Windows).

Paul Baumgartel
CREDIT SUISSE
Information Technology
DBA & Admin - NY, KIGA 1