Re: 2GB or not 2GB (datafile limit)? That is the question.

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:57:35 +0100

I learned an *awful* lot from encountering a 2gb limit bug a while back.

  1. Such things as bugs existed
  2. test recovery not backup
  3. know what your backup software does, not what it says it does.
  4. how good management is a real bonus.
  5. how people standing over you shouting is bad (4 and 5 learned in reverse order)
  6. how the internet can be faster than support on a P1 tar
  7. documentation, documentation, documentation.

http://tinyurl.com/partc contains the gory details - though what happened to parts a and b is beyond me.

finding bugs and having real support to deal with them was a bonus for me. much better than if I'd never had the issue.

On 9/11/06, Sweetser, Joe <Joe.Sweetser_at_infocrossing.com> wrote:

> Well then, I would say a career as a DBA for you is much better than one
> as an entomologist. :-)
>

> > I've tried to avoid boundaries for the same reason.
> >
> > Discovering bugs is not my favorite hobby.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info