RE: UNIX file system read/write locks

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:29:06 +0800

The file level write locks still apply to many filesystems, even the ones which support direct IO.

However, some vendors have introducted concurrent direct IO option into their filesystems.
Solaris has CIO since some update of Solaris 8. I've used CIO option on AIX 5.2 as well.

I haven't heard about CIO for Linux so I guess they don't have it.

Also, you have to manually enable concurrent IO in filesystem mount options in order to use it.

For Oracle 9.2 on AIX CIO stuff, read this article:

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/aix/whitepapers/db_perf_aix.pdf

Tanel.