RE: spool to symbol in vms

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qg.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 08:54:09 -0500

Not exactly like Unix (better!)...

Instead of spooling to a symbol, spool to a logical. I know this works (or did in Oracle8 on VMS), as I used to use it with a DCL CGI script I made to produce graphs from data in Oracle tables. But I don't know how Oracle will treat the filename as part of the logical. Try something like this:

$ val_sid = f$trnlnm("ora_sid")

  $!

$ sho sym val_sid
  $!   tmp = "tmp_"+"''val_sid'"+".txt"
  $!   sho sym tmp

$ define tmp "tmp_''val_sid'.txt"
$ sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
     spool tmp
     select '$ STOP/IDENTIFICATION=' || p.spid proc_id from v$session s,
v$process
. . . . .

If that doesn't work as you expect, you could also try to append a colon onto the spool command ("spool tmp:"). Like I said, I'm not sure how Oracle will deal with the filename in the logical. It's been awhile!

Let us know if that works. GL!

Rich

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Reidy, Ron Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 11:13 AM To: barb.baker_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: spool to symbol in vms

Is this like Unix? If so ...

spool ${tmp}

--

Ron Reidy