RE: AMD vs Xeon 64 bit

From: VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 12:49:06 +0530

Thanks Glenn, List for responding.

Am looking to check the possibility of our Banking Product's possible port to AMD Opteron & build a case for "Management".

Our Banking Products are Coded is in Pro C, .Net, Java currently Runs on Solaris(Sparc4u), Windows , HP-UX (on Itanium Chips), AIX (P5 Servers) with Oracle / SQL*Server Databases.

Any Docs, Links, pointers Other than the following?

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/openpower/files/hrg_openpower.pdf

Additionally some questions are in CAPITALS below.

Thanks indeed.

From: Glenn Stauffer [mailto:alaxsxaq_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 4:59 PM To: VIVEK_SHARMA
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: AMD vs Xeon 64 bit

I'm not sure of your timeframe for the purchase, IBM, Sun, and HP are all releasing new or updated 4 socket AMD Opteron systems based on the new Socket F.

THERE IS NO TIMEFRAME FOR NOW. From what I can see, only IBM has a 4 Socket system with the new AMD Socket-F on the market right now, the new x3755.

IS IT AVAILABLE WITH AIX O.S.? Sun's 2 socket systems have moved to Socket F, but not the 4 socket systems as of yet. Sun has a 4 socket Opteron server with integrated storage - up to 48 disk drives in a 4u server. Sun also has an 8 socket Opteon server. They still have the v40z in the product line, but that system is getting a bit long in the tooth and is just a re-badged Newisys server that put Sun on the opteron map a bunch of years ago.

ANY COMPARATIVE COMPUTING POWER, COST FIGURES OF OPTERON VERSUS SPARC CHIP machines from SUN?

HP should release the DL385 G2 and DL585 G2 by year end - search around and you'll find press releases and specs on these systems.

IS IT AVAILABLE WITH HP-UX O.S.? ANY COMPARATIVE COMPUTING POWER, COST FIGURES OF OPTERON VERSUS ITANIUM CHIP machines from HP?

I'm making a purchase decision on DB and VMware infrastructure servers this month and considering the IBM servers, but I am looking at the viability of the current generation blade platforms - possibly the 4 socket Opteron blades for my new DB servers.

ANY COMPARATIVE COMPUTING POWER, COST FIGURES OF OPTERON VERSUS P5 CHIP machines from IBM?

--

Glenn Stauffer