Xterm issues

From: Mike Schmitt <mschmitt_at_uchicago.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 16:05:04 -0500

Hi all,

I am having some problems getting the installer to startup on a new laptop and was hoping I could get some help from the list.

I have installed cygwin with the X11 option. If I start cygwin and type startx I get an X window to open up without any errors. If I do a netstat -a at this point I see something listening at port 6000 which is what I believe I should expect.

TCP mycomp:6000 mylaptop:0 LISTENING

I login into our Sun box and export DISPLAY=<my laptops IP>:0.0. I then kick off xclock for a test. After executing xclock, the process will hang for a bit before returning the error message

Error: Can't open display: <my laptops IP>:0.0

While the xclock command is hanging, I perform a netstat -a on the sun box and see the following:

<sun server>.54453 <my PC>.6000 0 0 24820 0 SYN_SENT

The sun server is resolving my laptop name incorrectly, but since I am setting my display to the IP address I am not sure how much that matters.

On the sun server if I try to telnet to port 6000 I get the same SYN_SENT message from netstat

<sun server>.54864 <my PC>.6000 0 0 24820 0 SYN_SENT

Is it possible that I am running into a windows firewall issue on my laptop? I don't have permissions to turn off the windows firewall, but was told by desktop support that he opened port 6000. I am not sure if his change worked though

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks