Re: URGENT!!! - Inadvertantly ran catalog.sql in an existing database

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 16:46:03 -0400

On 9/6/06, Paula Stankus <paulastankus_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Then I tried to just run standard.
>
> It said it created the package.
>
> Then I tried to run utlirp.sql
>
> It hangs and comes back with messages standard not accessible.
>
> Now my whole machine is hanging.
>
> Is there anyway to cleanup the catalog without recoverying the entire
> database?
>
> I read that it might be necessary to just have online a large rbs, create
> standard, run catalog.sql, run catproc.sql and utlirp.sql
>
> Any advice is greatly appreciated. The good thing is this is test but it
> means contract $$ if we have to loose a day.
>
> sigh....
>
> ------------------------------

Paula,

What version of the oracle database server software? (8.1.7.0) Were you connected as sysdba? (yes)
Is this RAC? (no)
Was the database instance started up migrate or upgrade, as in

SQL> startup migrate

(no)?
What was the value of the following:

sga_target or shared_pool_size

As its recommended that the shared_pool_size be at least 150M when running catalog.sql (or catpatch.sql).

More than likely, processes (sessions or background jobs) have pins on packages that are attempting to be invalidated - hence the "hang".

Bounce the instance.
startup migrate and re-run catalog.sql, then recompile the invalid objects. Check for invalid objects.
Then let users back in and worry about implications.

hth.

Paul