How to get rid of the domain in global_name?

From: jaromir nemec <jaromir_at_db-nemec.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 20:08:24 +0200 (CEST)

Hello List,

Version 10.2.0.1.0 on Windows

My global_name is <my db name>.REGRESS.RDBMS.DEV.US.ORACLE.COM I assume this is some default domain set up in the installation. I can change the global_name e.g. to <my db name>.WORLD, but I can't get rid the domain name completely.

The statement ..
Alter database rename global_name to <my db name>;

.. preserves the former domain name.

Metalink note Note:368701.1 suggests one can get rid of the domain this way, but it didn't worked for me.

My problem: I suspect this is the cause of ora-12154 using a database link. The whole story:

1) I changed the global_name to  <my db name>.world
2) in my (local) tnsnames I defined alias with <remote_db_name>.world
3) I defined db link with USING '<remote_db_name>'
4) select from dual@<link_name> returns ora-12154
alternative
3) I defined db link with USING '<remote_db_name>.world' 4) select from dual@<link_name> returns ora-12560

The funniest thing is, in the trace (trace_level_client=admin) I don't see the 12154 error. The only nserrors I see are ns=12630 and ns=12582; both of the internal.

In other 10.2 database where the global_name is nice <db name> (without the domain suffix) I have no such problems. I guess the fix is to get rid of the domain name from the global_name. Is there an easier solution than new set up of the database?

Thanks,

Jaromir