RE: Automatic Shared Memory question

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:47:03 -0700

Armed with the information provided by Tanel, I went back to my SR with Oracle Support for more detail on "KGH: NO ACCESS" to see if I could get them to corroborate what we're seeing and here is the answer I was given:

"KGH: NO ACCESS chunks are owned by the buffer cache and indicate a partial transfer between buffer cache and shared pool."

I don't know why they couldn't tell me that the first time I asked - I guess it was top-secret until Tanel blew it :)

So, this means that unless they change things - it will be very common for sum(bytes) from v$sgastat to return a value significantly greater than your sga_max_size, and the difference will probably be roughly equal to the size consumed by "KGH: NO ACCESS". This KGH: NO ACCESS area should disappear completely after the instance is restarted - then occasionally grow and shrink as granules are passed back and forth between the shared pool and the buffer cache (if you are using Automatic Shared Memory Management, e.g. sga_target > 0).

Regards,
Brandon