RE: 9i Parsing Optimization

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:31:52 -0400

Right, session_cached_cursors can have an impact in reducing the amount of work a parse does, but, any time a piece of client code makes a parse call, Oracle MUST parse. It may be a hard parse, a soft parse, or a session cursor cache hit, but it is a parse, none the less. The *ONLY* way to reduce parsing is to change the program to parse less.

As others speculated previously, perhaps there's an ODBC or JDBC driver, or something, that has an optimization that reduces the number of parse calls, that was picked up on the upgrade from 8i to 9i.....

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem,
pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently,
die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."   --Robert A. Heinlein

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Allen, Brandon Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:17 PM To: Polarski, Bernard; anjo.kolk_at_oraperf.com; ax.mount_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: 9i Parsing Optimization If I understand correctly, session_cached_cursors causes a "softer" parse, but a parse would still show up as a parse in the 10046 output so I don't believe this parameter could be responsible for the 50% reduction in parse count. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
From: Polarski, Bernard [mailto:Bernard.Polarski_at_atosorigin.com] Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:37 AM In the upgrade process, did you changed 'session_cached_cursors' from 0 (default in 8i) to something like 50+? In this case your hits are much better and there is less pression on the shared pool, hence your parsing decrease also. Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message or attachments hereto. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l