RE: Hot index block split on a very busy table--what is the impact

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:02:33 -0400

If the load spike is very short - so short that you cannot catch the actual wait event, I'm curious as to why this is perceived as an incident and problem to be solved.

How long a period of "during that time nothing can be done" are we talking about?

If you are *not* getting a waits on Index Block Split during that period, then that is probably *not* your problem, so allowing the knowledge that that you have a busy index distract you from finding what you are waiting for is probably not the best pursuit. Likewise, I would not search for all waits that generate a CPU spike, but rather try to discover what you are actually waiting for. Spinning like crazy for any latch wait by many sessions will generate a CPU spike.

So pursue the real lead you have: waiting for latch free on cache buffer chains.

Good luck!

mwf