RE: Manually starting database on Windows

From: Sweetser, Joe <Joe.Sweetser_at_infocrossing.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 06:06:54 -0700

Hey Niall -

Excellent points. The snip was, indeed, from the 10gR2 manual set (http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/win.102/b14304/create .htm#i1006533) and the very next line speaks to the new -SRVCSTART parameter to oradim. Strangely, this is one of the few times in my life where I find myself not being verbose enough!

Thanks for clarifying the clarification, :-\

-joe

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:08 AM To: Sweetser, Joe
Cc: cemail_219_at_hotmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Manually starting database on Windows

On 8/29/06, Sweetser, Joe <Joe.Sweetser_at_infocrossing.com> wrote:

> Just to clarify. From the manual:
>
> -STARTMODE [auto | manual] - indicates whether to start the instance
> when the Oracle Database service is started. Default is manual.

I hope that that is an incomplete snip. STARTMODE (AUTO|MANUAL) used to control both the instance and the service startmodes (prior to 10g) i.e specifying STARTMODE AUTO got you an auto starting service and instance, to get an auto starting service, but not instance you had to manually change the properties of the service after setting STARTMODE manual. As the below output shows this has been enhanced in 10g with a srvcstart parameter that takes fairly obvious values. Oradim has always had the ability to startup the instance with whatever pfile you want (that is what happens when the service is started by Oracle behind the scenes - checkout oradim.log for the evidence.) So if this is a onetime thing I'd use oradim -startup -sid <SID> -pfile <PFILE>

C:\Documents and Settings\nlitchfield>oradim ORADIM: <command> [options]. Refer to manual. Enter one of the following command:
Create an instance by specifying the following options:

     -NEW -SID sid | -SRVC srvc | -ASMSID sid | -ASMSRVC srvc [-SYSPWD pass]
 [-STARTMODE auto|manual] [-SRVCSTART system|demand] [-PFILE file | -SPFILE]
 [-SHUTMODE normal|immediate|abort] [-TIMEOUT secs] [-RUNAS osusr/ospass]
Edit an instance by specifying the following options:

     -EDIT -SID sid | -ASMSID sid [-SYSPWD pass]  [-STARTMODE auto|manual] [-SRVCSTART system|demand] [-PFILE file | -SPFILE]
 [-SHUTMODE normal|immediate|abort] [-SHUTTYPE srvc|inst] [-RUNAS osusr/ospass]
Delete instances by specifying the following options:

     -DELETE -SID sid | -ASMSID sid | -SRVC srvc | -ASMSRVC srvc Startup services and instance by specifying the following options:

     -STARTUP -SID sid | -ASMSID sid [-SYSPWD pass]  [-STARTTYPE srvc|inst|srvc,inst] [-PFILE filename | -SPFILE] Shutdown service and instance by specifying the following options:

     -SHUTDOWN -SID sid | -ASMSID sid [-SYSPWD pass]  [-SHUTTYPE srvc|inst|srvc,inst] [-SHUTMODE normal|immediate|abort]  Query for help by specifying the following parameters: -? | -h | -help

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA