RE: Manually starting database on Windows

From: Sweetser, Joe <Joe.Sweetser_at_infocrossing.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:16:18 -0700

A few things: The OracleService<SID> exists independently of the datafiles. That is, you can have a perfectly valid service running with no database underneath. Taking this a bit further, you can recreate the service of a database without damaging anything as long as the database and service are shutdown. Look at the oradim command. Among other things, you can specify the startmode (manual or automatic). Hmmm - though that might be of the service itself and not the database. I guess *I* should go look it up! :-)

Anyway, once the database is up and running, you can go into sqlplus as sysdba and shut it down. If, for some reason, "connect / as sysdba" doesn't work, just connect as sys. Even though the database is shutdown, the service will still be running. At this point, you can issue the startup pfile=<blah> command. You can also create/recreate your spfile at this point...which might be an easier way to go. YMMV.

Note that sysdba access via sqlplus when connected via Remote Desktop (RDP) does not work for 8i. You need to be on the console. It's fine for 9i/10g.

hthmtic (hope this helps more than it confuses), -joe
http://www.peaceaday.com