Re: was (RE: SGADEF file?) is How to best detect database health

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:42:43 -0600

Far safer than connecting as a non-privileged user is attempting to connect as a non-existent user. If the database instance is up and running and working normally, you'll just get the ORA-01017 error ("username or password incorrect"), which is normal and expected. This tests IP connectivity, TNS Listener availability, instance availability/function/response, all without jeopardizing security. Or at least minimal jeopardy.

So, for a username/password string, I typically just whip through the entire QWERTY keyboard a couple times:

    connect asdfljwiuzliweihnzwaer/zxcvbsghqwerouawefr_at_PROD.world

If there is anything wrong with basic connectivity (or if you accidentally connect successfully), then an alert is in order...

If you are auditing on unsuccessful connection attempts, then you might want to account for this when reading audit trails...