Re: Dropping Large Indexes

From: Anand Rao <panandrao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:34:56 +0530

Hi,

For those who are interested,

the solution turned out to be an easy one (as a few had earlier suggested). i got caught up in a bit of testing frenzy.

  1. Mark the Index Partition as UNUSABLE,

ALTER INDEX I_NORMALISED_EVENT MODIFY PARTITION I_NORMALISED_EVENT_P0001 UNUSABLE;  Instruct Oracle to skip unusable indexes,

ALTER SESSION SET SKIP_UNUSABLE_INDEXES = TRUE ; I thought only Queries will bypass unusable indexes with this parameter, but apparantely, even INSERTS and UPDATES do :)

Voila! it works.

I can now insert data till i drop dead and if needed, i can rebuild the index partition in no time.

Thank you all.

Best Regards
anand