Big question for data 'replication '

From: Alessandro Vercelli <alever_at_libero.it>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:08:21 +0200

Hi all,
I've inherited a couple of Oracle low-range servers, RedHat ES 3; each node contains an Oracle 10.1 database; both DBs have same physical and structure ans same schemas/tables, the application is installed on a separated machine; the oddity is that the db schema involved in the application contains two (yes, two...) tables of ~300 and ~1.000.000 records, nearly; the schema works with Spatial feature enabled and most probably this has been the requirement for an expensive (and not easy to mantain) Oracle DB.

My question is: assuming I need to maintan both DBs aligned, defining a primary DB and replicating data on the secondary, what are the technical suitable choices ?

On my own, I took into consideration:
- Data Guard: like driving a Ferrari in a traffic jam, where do you want to go? is it worth such a product for two tables? can we afford the increased resource needs? moreover does DG make sense without a disaster-recovery environment?

Thanks to everyone who will reply,

Alessandro

Salva ora il tuo preventivo gratuito Direct Line e assicurati lo sconto extra 5+5% sulla polizza auto! http://click.libero.it/directline2