Re: Dropping Large Indexes

From: Anand Rao <panandrao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:25:48 +0530

Hello,

Thanks Mark, David, Jay and Dennis.

I tried (or considered) all the suggestions.

sorry for not explaining my problem carefully earlier.

the Drop index is not a one time activity but part of a sequence of repetitive tests we are performing. the database is 9206 on AIX 5.3, IBM p595 Server with 64-CPU.

all tablespaces are Local and ASSM. Using RAW devices except for init.ora ;)

the session waits on IO and it chews up the CPU. pity we can't parallelise the drop. my IO performance is superb but still i generate truck loads of IO per second.

my indexes are locally partitioned indexes. all the index partitions are in 1 or 2 tablespaces. I have about 1200 of these index partitions.

since they are all local index partitions, i can't drop a single index partition or make 1 single partition unusable. the problem i forsee with making index partition unusable is that my inserts/updates will fail.

i need to insert/update data, then drop indexes, do something then again insert data then drop index.

Hence, i was looking for a way to speed up the drop index.

I guess i just have to live with it for now,

thank you all for your time,

cheers
anand