Re: Question on FireWire drive model for Oracle RAC

From: Ranko Mosic <ranko.mosic_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 10:24:48 -0400

The only problem with NetApp is you have to be thir customer. Firewire disk you can buy for $250, couple of network cards and you have real 2 node RAC.
VmWare is good, but doesn't give you real RAC "feel" since it happens on one box.

On 8/24/06, Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee> wrote:

> Amir,
>
> I wouldn't recommend spending money and time on hacking RAC working on a
> firewire disk.
>
> If your whole database with all accompanying files is on this single disk,
> then many sorts of performance experimentation will be bottlenecked by
> seek
> time of this disk. For example when you test Cache Fusion, then any redo
> related to a block must be flushed to disk before it can shipped to
> another
> node, meaning waiting for log file IO even if you don't commit.
>
> So, if you don't need any performance experimentation, the easiest way
> would
> be going with vmware / Oracle desktop datacentre bundle.
>
> If you want to test this on dedicated boxes, then it would make more sense
> to use NFS or the NetApp simulator..
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/garg-netapp-simulator.html
>
> Tanel.

Regards,
Ranko Mosic
Contract Senior Oracle DBA
B. Eng, Oracle 10g, 9i Certified Database Professional
Phone: 416-450-2785
email: mosicr_at_rogers.com
http://ca.geocities.com/mosicr@rogers.com/ContractSeniorOracleDBARankoMosicMain.html