RE: Question on FireWire drive model for Oracle RAC

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:39:50 +0800

Amir,

I wouldn't recommend spending money and time on hacking RAC working on a firewire disk.

If your whole database with all accompanying files is on this single disk, then many sorts of performance experimentation will be bottlenecked by seek time of this disk. For example when you test Cache Fusion, then any redo related to a block must be flushed to disk before it can shipped to another node, meaning waiting for log file IO even if you don't commit.

So, if you don't need any performance experimentation, the easiest way would be going with vmware / Oracle desktop datacentre bundle.

If you want to test this on dedicated boxes, then it would make more sense to use NFS or the NetApp simulator..

http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/garg-netapp-simulator.html

Tanel.