all_synonyms: performance issues

From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:20:55 -0500

Good day, list,

In light of Metalink note *377037.1* (*Selects Against ALL_SYNONYMS Perform Badly on 10g Release 10.2*), we have been tracking down why we have so many calls to all_synonyms in the first place. We see a lot of these types of queries occuring:
SELECT table_name, table_owner FROM all_synonyms WHERE owner = :"SYS_B_0" AND synonym_name = :"SYS_B_1"

Where does this come from? When I queried v$sql, I could not find any parent cursors (where parent.child_address = child.address and lower(child.sql_text) like '%all_synonyms%'). We are also unable to find explicit calls from the application, so we are operating under the assumption that Oracle does this as part of a recursive call. A 10046 trace will show this query and a preceding query (ie, select * from some_table), but I do not quite understand how they are related.

Any help much appreciated,

--

Charles Schultz

--