Re: How to Convert a Big NON-Rac DB(on VXFS) into RAC using SFRAC, QFS & RAW ? ..(Oracle 10g , Solaris 10)

From: Naqi Mirza <naqimirza_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:03:47 -0700 (PDT)

Vivek,
The conversion process is in the oracle documentation. We performed a similar activity where we converted a non rac database on vxfs to a rac database running using qfs. We used rman to create a standby database - synch'ed it with production and the ran the steps to convert to the single instance standby database to rac. This process gave us something like 30 minutes donwtime. There are some whitepapers now on otn that document this. Look under the high availability section and for MAA. We did this for 9i, though.

sun spar solaris 9
sun cluster 3.1
qfs

I dont have any performance info, wasnt involved in that. hope that helps.

Naqi

Thanks Fairlie, folks for the great piece of info.

Qs 1 What are the procedures to:-

Convert a NON-RAC Database on VXFS to SFRAC using Veritas CFS with RAC on Oracle 10g/Solaris 10
Convert a NON-RAC Database on VXFS to QFS with RAC on Oracle 10g/Solaris 10
Convert a NON-RAC Database on VXFS to RAW with RAC on Oracle 10g/Solaris 10

NOTE – Size of Database 4 TB approx.

Qs 2 Which of the above is least & most tedious & why?

Qs 3 How does SFRAC compare against QFS w.r.t. performance with Oracle 10g/Solaris 10?

Any Docs, Links, Books, suggested readings for Qs 1, 2, 3 above?

Thanks indeed

From: fairlie rego [mailto:fairlie_r_at_yahoo.com] Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 1:10 PM
To: yasbs_at_kocbank.com.tr; VIVEK_SHARMA; oracle-l_at_freelists.org; dbagiri_at_hotmail.com Subject: RE: Veritas CFS, QFS or RAW? Which for High Transaction Load on RAC with Solaris 10/Oracle 10g ?

    Hi,

    We have a 6 node cluster on Solaris 64 bit 10.1.0.5 RAC and SFRAC 4.1     We do something like 400 transactions/sec and around 500,000 logical     reads/sec and are very much a production site with a db size of 1.5 Tb.

    Each node has 96Gb of RAM and 24 CPUs     We have had a couple of issues with Veritas especially with odmstat but other that life is good at the moment

    Thanks
    -Fairlie

This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system. ***INFOSYS******** End of Disclaimer ********INFOSYS***
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Aug 22 2006 - 14:03:47 CDT