Re: Slow CREATE BITMAP INDEX and high consistent gets

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:20:59 -0600

Jeff,

You did rebuild the table (when you did the CTAS) and it made a huge difference, so that's a clue right there.

High consistent gets... is there a transaction open on this table while you're creating the index? The "raw" trace file should show wait-events on "db file sequential read" against the UNDO tablespace, interspersed amongst the wait-events on "db file scattered read" on the table's tablespace. Query DBA_OBJECTS to get the OBJECT_ID for the table, then query V$LOCK where TYPE = 'TM' and where ID1 = <object-ID>, and see if any sessions show up? Although that might be a rat-hole, because Oracle should kick back ORA-00054 ("resource busy and acquire with NOWAIT specified") if there's an uncommitted transaction open. Still, can't hurt to check anyway...

Could delayed block cleanout from a massive UPDATE or DELETE be causing high LIO? Perhaps someone else can confirm, but I think the count for "current" (a.k.a. "db block changes") should be pretty high if that were happening. However, it also sounds like you've done the CREATE BITMAP INDEX several times, and delayed block cleanout probably wouldn't repeat like that.

When you did the CTAS, did you recreate the table copy in the same tablespace as the original? That's grasping at straws, because the problem appears to be too many LIOs, and apparently not the speed per PIO. But one never knows until one asks...

Just some thoughts...

-Tim