Re: reading the SGA from my own program

From: Anjo Kolk <anjo.kolk_at_oraperf.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:57:51 +0200

Not to be picky, but any query on the X$ or V$ (especially joins) will produce inconsistent results or data. That is the price that you pay. Now the big problem with reading SGA structures is with structures that are dynamic (v$session is not really dynamic), for example v$sqlarea. One needs to get a couple of latches to make sure that the pointers are still valid (or are valid up to a certain point). Remember the good old days when SYSTEMSTATE dumps would coredump when executed on a live system? That is why it was a bad idea to have a backgroundprocess do a system state dump. One bad pointer and the instance is dead. So the other thing one can do if one can't use latches is to built in many checks to make sure the structures and addresses are still valid.

-Anjo.

--
Anjo Kolk
Owner and Founder OraPerf Projects