Impact of Changed O.S. on Performance

From: VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:02:50 +0530

Qs. 1 What is the impact on Database Performance of Kernel Tuning Parameters in Solaris 10, AIX 5.3?

Scenario:-

We the Software Product Vendor need to INTERNALLY do a comparative performance benchmark between a Lower Application/Oracle Version & a Higher Application/Oracle version to check for performance gain.

Qs 2 While the customer has BOTH APP & DB Servers on SUN what would be the impact of us internally benchmarking with SUN APP Server but with AIX DB Server?

Is this approach advisable or a definite NO-NO?

NOTE - Currently a SUN DB Server is NOT available internally though it will be shortly from now.

NOTE - Any Kernel parameter Tuning for performance that we carry out on the AIX DB Server during the benchmark Runs may NOT be translatable directly to SUN at Customer Site.

Thanks indeed