Routine Checks

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:34:58 +0100

As some of you will have picked up I am in a relatively new position. One of the things sadly lacking is any sort of pro-active monitoring routine. This is something that I want to introduce, but my experience of, for example, daily checks is that they tend not to happen after a while. So I guess my question is what would you add to/remove from a list of daily checks for all production databases that read.

  1. database up
  2. application up
  3. alert.log errors
  4. audit trails
  5. backup success/failure
  6. dr logs applied (where applicable)
  7. failed jobs

and for a weekly list

  1. db size
  2. object size
  3. availability
  4. listener.log errors
  5. redo/transaction volume

You'll see that I'm mainly coming at this from a security and availability standpoint - I don't see that performance is amenable to routine system wide checks.

A related question is how many of you are using, specifically, 10gR2 EM to automate these sorts of things. We have a pretty dire EM10gR1 implementation that I wish to redo and 10gR2 looks an order of magnitude better than R1, but any gotchas - like it doesn't work - would be nice to know ahead of time.

--

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

--