Re: Solaris 8 -> 10 Upgrade, any DB concerns I should know about?

From: Peter Sylvester <peters_at_mitre.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:56:52 -0400

Solaris 10 introduces a number of changes at the kernel level, to support a kind of "VM" capability, but running only one copy of the kernel. Because of this, configuration is done quite differently, in particular, things that used to go into /etc/system such as semaphores and shared memory parameters are managed differently, using "prctl". The *latest* version of the 10.2 Installation Guide covers how it has to be done; the initial version didn't.

Make sure your SA has been trained in Solaris 10 differences, and is comfortable managing it. I had one of the early Solaris 10 boxes at my company and it was more trouble than I would have expected, mainly due to the lack of knowledge in this area.

--Peter

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Aug 15 2006 - 08:56:52 CDT