Using Windows Extension/adding memory to Oracle

From: J. Dex <cemail_219_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:36:47 -0400

Anything to watch out for when implementing PAE/AWE and 3GB switch on Windows 2003 in order to give more memory to Oracle?

When I look under AWE_WINDOW_MEMORY, I do not see any settings for it. Does that mean it is the default value of 1GB?

I have a Windows 2003 Server with 8GB memory that has five 9.2.0.7 databases running on it. I want to extend the memory to take advantage of the 8GB. PAE is already turned on.

My understanding of how to do this is:

1.	Add /3GB /PAE to boot.ini file
2.	Make sure LocalSystem account has the privilege to Lock Pages in Memory
and that the OracleService<SID> starts as LocalSystem account.
3.	Set USE_INDIRECT_DATA_BUFFERS=TRUE in spfile of each instance.
4.	Change DB_CACHE_SIZE to use DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS instead.